Healthy Eating During Covid
Updated: May 27, 2021
Sooo, what are you eating these days?
Are you taking the time to prepare healthy, nourishing food for you and your family? Are you shopping strategically, and conscientiously?
Nutrition is a vital form of pharmacology that is often overlooked. The adage's that "We are what we eat" and "Food is medicine" are very true. And, during pandemic's, it is vital that we fuel our bodies with nutritious foods that will keep our immune systems strong, full of energy, ensure restful sleep, and positive thinking.
There is no reason for you to say that you have gained "covid" weight -" how" its not a food that is over consumed. This occurs due to poor food choices and lack of activity which causes apathy, lethargy, no energy, anxiety and worry.
How can we improve our nutrition - here are some suggestions:
1. Visit your favourite recipe websites, ie. https://ohsheglows.com/recipe-search/
2. Plan menu's for a month at a time using a monthly meal planner and grocery list https://www.freeprintablegrocerylist.com or find a great app on your phone
3. Encourage the family to be involved in meal preparation - making the activity a family event
4. Take the time to teach your child or a loved one how to make a favourite dish or how to utilize the Canadian food guide appropriately
5. Share the joys of planting a fast growing vegetable like a salad green or radishes to use in a dish
6. Enjoy dining as a social gathering and a wonderful opportunity to enjoy each others company and the yummy food that has been prepared
Pandemics cause us to pause, evaluate and prioritize what is of value. These times allow us to embrace the joys of home-cooked meals, spending time with loved ones and the realization that we have the choice to invest in our health and general wellbeing.